Tuesday, June 23, 2009

History Then And Now

For the better part of my life I thought historically important events and places were things that were anyplace other then where I lived. One day I woke up and realized that history was all around me, just because something took place in my backyard did not make it unimportant.

Two hundred years ago most of my home sate of Michigan was a wilderness frequented by Fur Trappers and Indians. Before that the British and the French fought over the ownership of this land. There were forts built that played a major role in the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812.

Than came the local history, the wilderness being cleared, towns being built, and people living dreams of a better life for their families. History is what went on before we came along and history is what we are making and leaving behind for those who will come after us.

No comments:

Post a Comment