Friday, December 26, 2008

The Last Year

 

Christmas is over for another year and 2008 is almost gone. What will the year be remembered for? Will we even want to remember it? History was made with the election of an African American to the presidency but that was out shadowed by our economy falling apart. Everyday seemed to bring some new thrill on the rollercoaster ride. First gas prices went higher and higher than they began to dive, jobs began diapering, and no one seems to know what will happen next.

 The only sure thing is more and more people have less and less to spend. Like a spiral moving faster the larger it gets each job loss creates others causing still other jobs to be at risk. If you are not sure about your job you aren’t going to spend money on big ticket items like cars or run up new debits you might be able to payback. If people don’t buy the companies go under, more people loss jobs, there we go again.

I wish I had some bright spot or some light at the end of the tunnel, but there just isn’t a silver lining that I can see. Things are going to get worse before they get better. The only way to fix things is to reverse the spiral and find a way to get people back to work so they have money to spend. 

1 comment:

  1. I guess I'm trying to be an optimist, or perhaps it's just that I've had to live frugally all my life, but I have a lot of hope for the coming year. I think it probably will get worse before it gets better, but I keep in mind that it is darkest just before the dawn. I hope it is true for our country and the rest of the world as well. We will all just have to do what is necessary to help turn things around.

    ReplyDelete