Sunday, December 21, 2008

All I Want For Christmas

What do I want for Christmas? Peace on earth, goodwill towards men, the economy to get better, all my friends and family to be healthy and happy? How about an end to poverty and hunger? The list of altruistic desires could go on and on.

The truth of the matter is that as wonderful as all those things are what I really want is stuff and lots of it. I am as greedy as the next person and am willing to admit it.  A new 48 inch led HD TV, a blue ray player, a new computer, an I pod,  and a cell phone. In lieu of those things I’ll take cash and lots of it. Enough to let my wife and I move down south to someplace where they never heard on snow.

I took an honest look at myself and realized that I am tired of always giving. It may be better to give than receive, but as selfish as it might be I want to receive. I’ve spent years giving to others in need. I’ve cast my bread upon the waters and now I’m ready to have it return.  When we look at the tree Christmas morning there should be a great big pile of presents all addressed to me. I mean big, I want Santa to get a hernia carrying them.

Well maybe that isn’t quite the truth. If there is something there I’ll be thankful. Thankful for the love and caring the gift represents and grateful that I have family and friends that want to show me that they care.

No comments:

Post a Comment