Monday, December 8, 2008

Driving In The Snow

If you live in Michigan in the northern part of the state you have two things in the winter that are equal to any other part of the country. You have deep snow and rugged terrain. In lake effect country you can get twelve to thirteen inches of snow over night, and there are roads as steep as you will find anywhere.

I say this because I want you to realize that I grew up driving in deep snow. I had snow tires on my car, but like all Michiganders that is all I had. No one I know would let five or six inches stop them from driving. Sure I spent my share of time stuck in the snow, but that was just the price one paid for living in God’s country.

So I want to know is what's the big deal about a little snow on the road? Some parts of the country shut down at the sight of a snow flake and others won’t let you drive without tire chains. In Michigan you can have chains as long as they don’t make contact with the surface of the road. I can’t think of a single person that even owns a set of the things.

You put a shovel in the trunk along with a blanket and some kitty litter for traction and you’re good to go. If you get stuck to deep to dig out, well that’s why they make tow trucks. Only wimp wouldn't drive in the snow around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment