Sunday, July 19, 2009

Why?

On Saturday I was in Benzie County, Michigan for my fourth class reunion. With time to kill in the morning my wife and I decided to enjoy the scenic wonder of this area that is the gateway to the Sleeping Bear National Lakeshore. The wind was blowing and it had stormed during the night so we headed out to the Point Betzie Lighthouse to watch the waves and take some pictures of the light on a stormy day.

The National Lakeshore is visited by people from all over the United States and around the globe, and as a result so is the Point Betzie Lighthouse. People go there to watch the sunsets, the lighthouse, and changing modes of Lake Michigan. It is a with pride that local people point it out as a place that is truly worth the drive to see.

You can well imagine how I felt as I walked down to the lake shore and discovered that the night before someone had a party there and left the area completely trashed. Beer cans and rubbish were spread all over the place leaving an ugly on what should have been a pristine view of nature’s beauty.

I can only wonder what kind on thoughtless, inconsiderate, jerks would see fit to leave a miss like this to welcome visitors to our State and one of the scenic wonders we are so blessed to have to share with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment