Monday, February 16, 2009

My Bike

I started looking at bikes with the eye to getting one this spring. A bike will give me mobility since we are down to one car and my wife has that at work all day. It will also help me get my daily exercise which I need if I want to get rid of my middle-age spread.

Unlike some people my age that have mountain bikes with fancy hi-tech gears and frames, I’m looking at a nice tricycle by Schwinn. First of all it’s a name from my childhood. When I was growing up you either had a J.C.Penney or a Schwinn. Most importantly it has a nice big basket on the back to put things in if I want to take along my camera and tripod.

Not far from my house is White Pine Trail, a Linear State Park also known locally as rails to trails. It is over ninety miles of hiking and bike trail that was once the railroad. With my tricycle I can ride the trail, take pictures, and just enjoy the great outdoors as I piddle myself back into shape.

I am well aware that an overweight old man on a tricycle is not cool. In fact the sight might be considered comical, but I’ve lived long enough to no longer care. What matters is getting back in shape so I can enjoy going places with my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment