Thursday, January 15, 2009

Networking Sites

I have a site on Facebook. I got it because I wanted to see what it was all about. A lot of people I know also have sites there. It seems that most of the activity involves this like playing games and sending invites to be friends. Once someone is your friend you get told everything they do and vice a versa. After using it for awhile I began to feel out of place and now I know why.

I just saw a study that shows the median age for Facebook users was twenty seven years old and I am well past that age. While it is nice to keep up with family and people I know who use the site, there is not a lot else here that I find interesting.

Recently I found a networking site that has more to offer me. That site is Eons. Com, a place I like to call Facebook for Baby Boomers. If you want flash back to your youth, talk about your health, or share common interests with a contemporary there is a group here for you. It’s nice to talk about things with someone without wondering if they understand what you’re talking about. At Eons that’s not a problem because the people here have a shared past and they know what you are talking about.

Seventy five percent of 18 to 24 year olds use sites like Facebook while only 7 percent of those 65 and older do. Maybe they fell like I do and just want a place where they feel like they fit in. I won’t stop checking into Facebook to see what’s going on with my family and friends, but I will spend most of my time exploring Eons and making new friends along the way.

1 comment:

  1. I am 40 and using Facebook and other social networking site. but I love Twitter more, maybe because it's a micro blogging and the 140 word restriction is just nice, on twitter, u can choose to talk to yourself, express something in your mind, choose to be silent or replied to some interesting topics.

    For me, FB is more personal cause he show all the photos and your profile. I will be more careful to choose my friends in FB.

    Maybe i will check out Eons to see any interesting people within my ages!

    ReplyDelete